Monday, August 4, 2014

First Word, Last Word -- His Word

Image source here
I've started a new practice this week, and I wonder if you'd join me. Let me explain.

In my reading for a seminar this week, I came across a concept the author called "H.W.L.W. - His Word the Last Word." Discussing the discipline of Bible meditation, the author stressed the value of pouring the Word of God into our minds to program the subconscious mind during the night. Since the culture has millions of voices clamoring for our attention, he encourages us to listen primarily to the God of all creation in His self-revelation, filling your mind with God's Word so that it is bouncing around in your mind while you sleep, meditating on God's Word even when unconscious (Joshua 1:8).

As I processed this concept, I looked at adding in another factor to assist this filling: First Word, Last Word (F.W.L.W.). Not only reading the Word to fill your mind at night, but reading the Word in the morning to set the Truth as your filter. Before checking Facebook/Twitter/email/news/weather in the morning, I commit to looking into God's Word for His Truth. And at the end of the day before my eyes close at night, I commit to centering my mind on God's Word through memorization and/or reading the Bible. In light of the indispensability of the Word of God for the believer's soul-health, I have decided to make this acronym a defining resolution and discipline of my life.

My goal is that these practices will renew my mind for the purpose of godliness (Romans 12:2; 1 Timothy 4:7-8). I know I need greater discipline in my life, as my life is intended to reflect the holiness of Jesus I've been given. This is one step in my process.

Would you join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment