Thursday, February 5, 2015

Eager for Christ's Return

Image source here
We know a number of couples/families personally in which the husband is in the military and has been stationed overseas for around a year (side note: thank you all for your service, and families, for your sacrifice!). One family was recently reunited and another will be in the next few days. To say either side was anticipating that day is an understatement, and we are so happy for them.

What causes us to eagerly anticipate those reunions? Drilling it down, it relates directly to the depth of loving relationship the two parties have. I am happy to see an old friend again, but it pales in comparison to the deep desire I have to get home to be with my wife in every way. The love and intimacy that we share magnifies the joy that we have when we are reunited.

Now, think about this: if that's true of healthy marriages and families here, how much greater should our desire be to see Jesus face-to-face one day? To gaze upon the beauty of the One who has taken away your sins by His blood, the One who shields you from God's wrath and brings you into eternal life with Him? Should this anticipation not be building in us more every day? Hebrews 9:28 clarifies: "Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him." Are you eager for Christ to return? Not only to leave this sin-stained world behind, but to see His face? I hope so, because that is who He is coming back for.

So what does it mean, then, to be "eagerly waiting for him"? When I was in North Carolina recently for a week, I desperately longed for that Saturday afternoon when I would be able to see my bride face-to-face. All week I could not stop thinking about her. And the closer that day came, the more I was consumed. I was still functioning in my day-to-day tasks, but it was all done with a forward-thinking mindset, with the goal of taking care of my responsibilities in order to allow me to get to her (I sure wasn't going to miss a flight!). I'm not meaning to discount the importance of daily life (see Col 3:23 and 1 Cor 10:31). I'm simply magnifying her preeminence over the rest of those tasks in my life. There is a joy in our relationship, there is a longing there. Why? Because of who she is and what she means to me and how deep our love and affection goes.

How much more with Jesus, then! Don't be deceived by a phony faith that simply wants to escape hell but has no affection and desire for Jesus. If you love Him and believe in Him then you will eagerly anticipate His return. And you will live your life differently in the mean time so you are ready for Him to come back. This world will take on less importance and will be less appealing. You will spend your money on things that matter eternally rather than trinkets and fleeting pleasures. You will purify yourself from all sin. All with the eternal perspective of your bridegroom returning from His work trip to take His bride into His house forever.

So, are you eager? If not, take some time right now to gaze upon His beauty. Ask Him for eyes to see how much better He is than anything else this world can offer. What joy we will have on that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment